Buy that special someone an AP Physics prep book, now with five-minute quizzes aligned with the exam: 5 Steps to a 5 AP Physics 1

Visit Burrito Girl's handmade ceramics shop, The Muddy Rabbit: Mugs, vases, bowls, tea bowls...

03 February 2013

USIYPT results

Long time no post... I've been running the US Invitational Young Physicists Tournament in San Jose, California.  Seven schools from around the world competed.  On Saturday after the preliminary rounds, the top four teams headed to the "playoffs."  The top four seeds included:

Shenzhen Middle School, China
Woodberry Forest School, Virginia
The Harker School, California
Rye Country Day School, New York

The final fight pitted Shenzhen Middle School vs. the Harker School; Shenzhen Middle School took the championship trophy, meaning that in this tournament's six years, six different schools have won.

And after the prelinimary rounds, three schools competed in a poster session for the Clifford Swartz Trophy.  Nanjing Foreign Language School defeated Guilderland High School of New York and Pioneer School of Ariana, Tunisia by a single point for the trophy.

Don't expect to hear from me anytime soon... I haven't slept properly in a week, I've gotta grade a test, and I've gotta figure out what the heck I'm doing in class this week.  But I'll be back with you soon, hopefully to share how I've adapted my "quantitative demonstration" approach to freshmen, who have an average attention span of four minutes on a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment