Buy that special someone an AP Physics prep book, now with five-minute quizzes aligned with the exam: 5 Steps to a 5 AP Physics 1

Visit Burrito Girl's handmade ceramics shop, The Muddy Rabbit: Mugs, vases, bowls, tea bowls...

18 November 2020

Come-and-show-me activities online - try classkick.com

In class or consultation, I regularly have students line up to show me their work. Then feedback is personal and meaningful right now; and, advice to one student is overheard by those in line, who quickly adjust their work based on that advice.

I hated that I couldn't use this come-and-show-me style online in the spring.  I tried several ways to simulate it, and none was satisfactory.  But...

Physics teacher Tiffany Fuhrmann suggested I try classkick.  It's free - you can use your google account to sign in.  You create an "assignment" simply by uploading a pdf.  Students don't have to register - they just input the class code that classkick creates for you.  (You *can* upload a list of your students, but you don't have to - anyone who joins with the class code is in.)

Then, with minimal effort, you click "view work" to get a screen like you see below.  Each student's work is in a separate row.  Each column is one page of the PDF you uploaded.  Students can respond by typing, writing (on an ipad, phone, touchscreen), uploading pictures, or perhaps other ways I haven't discovered.  

I can see students working... I can click on one box and up comes the student's work.  Then *I* can write or type feedback!  There's so much more here that I haven't quite discovered, including student-student collaboration... if we're all on zoom, everyone can hear my feedback, and I can have an open breakout room for students to talk amongst themselves.  

This is revolutionary enough to share with others.  I tried it tonight with some physics teachers - it was way simpler than I anticipated, and devoid of the technical glitches that I fully expected.  



1 comment:

  1. I started using this with my AP students this week and it has worked well. We are beginning kinematic equations and I can see their work and steps rather than just the final answer. It also makes it easier for me to give them feedback. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete