Buy that special someone an AP Physics prep book, now with five-minute quizzes aligned with the exam: 5 Steps to a 5 AP Physics 1

Visit Burrito Girl's handmade ceramics shop, The Muddy Rabbit: Mugs, vases, bowls, tea bowls...

02 September 2021

Definition of acceleration lab, with a spark timer

A correspondent asked me about the "definition of acceleration lab`with dot machine." Is there a specific motion the students are doing? And the "dot machine" is like ticker tape/ strobe diagram? Where does that come in?

This exercise uses the tape timer or spark timer, one that makes 10 dots per second on a long string of paper.  (If you have the 60 dots per second machine, just have students graph every sixth dot!  :-)  )

Here's what I do with the students on lab day:

* Demo the dot machine from the front of the room - 1 minute.

* Divide into groups of 3 or so

* In the back, I have three dot machines [spark timers] set up.  I stand by one of them.  I work with the first group:

   * They adjust the angle of the track between 5 and 30 degrees, and measure that angle.

   * They tape the paper strip to their PASCO cart.  I thread the strip through the machine.

   * I start the machine, they release the cart, they grab their paper strip with dots on.

   * Once they verify that the machine worked, they go away to get position-time data; I start working with the next group.  They re-adjust the track angle, etc.

This takes only two-three minutes per group!  I run the machine because I know what to do, and I get down to business without putzing.  But, if a group doesn't want to wait for me to run the dot machine, they can use one of the other setups.  They see what I'm doing, so they figure things out pretty quickly.  

Once each group has their strip of paper, they make a table of position-time values.  They each get a copy of the response sheet, and they individually make the graph from their table.  The rest of the  response sheet is done as a come-and-show me where I check each part as they complete it.


No comments:

Post a Comment