Buy that special someone an AP Physics prep book, now with five-minute quizzes aligned with the exam: 5 Steps to a 5 AP Physics 1

Visit Burrito Girl's handmade ceramics shop, The Muddy Rabbit: Mugs, vases, bowls, tea bowls...

01 May 2020

2020 AP Physics exams: Type your answers. Really - TYPE YOUR ANSWERS.

I keep getting questions from people, even people who have read yesterday's post from associate chief reader Matt Sckalor.  They know that Matt and I and everyone associated with the 2020 AP Physics exams says to type your answers.  And yet, they keep asking "wait, but what if the exam asks for derivations" or "but what if we have to draw a diagram" or "but what if the readers take off for..."

I mean, Matt and I and everyone have made it clear as many times as we know how - no drawing diagrams, no derivations, prose is sufficient for everything.  What more can I say?  Do you think I'm going to come out with an evil laugh, ha ha ha ha! Fooled you all! You FAIL now!"?!?!

Look.  I'm a table leader at the reading. I don't want to read fancy formatted equations - I want to read typed prose.  I'll read whatever your student submits, 'cause I'm a professional... but I want to read typed prose.

Let's say a student types "with initial speed zero, the relevant equation is d=1/2at2."

I know what that means - it's very clear.  So does every reader.

But Professor Milhouse says, "Well, actually, that equation doesn't expressly indicate the groupings under the fraction.  The student might really mean one over 2at2.  That's equivalent mathematically to the reciprocal of four times a times t.  That's not a physics equation!  I am certainly not accepting that for credit!"

Um, Professor Milhouse won't last long at my table.  Nor at anyone else's.

Please emphasize to your students that we are physicists, not lawyers; please emphasize to communicate physics as best they can, and not to fear "omg, what if I lose a point because..."

Your students will get credit for good physics.  They will not get credit for bad physics.  That's it.  No matter how they submit.  But it'll sure, sure be easier on them and on us and on EVERYONE if they'll just type.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us know Mr. Jacobs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the GOAT, Mr. Beck. Thank you lots :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops I meant mr jacobs, sorryy! both of yall are GOATS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I'd seen or heard this prior to the test.

    ReplyDelete