Buy that special someone an AP Physics prep book, now with five-minute quizzes aligned with the exam: 5 Steps to a 5 AP Physics 1

Visit Burrito Girl's handmade ceramics shop, The Muddy Rabbit: Mugs, vases, bowls, tea bowls...

21 August 2019

I'm teaching a fall 2019 online course in physics/physics pedagogy

Hey, all... this is an ad, but an ad for something you or someone you know may be interested in.

I'll be teaching an online physics course on circuits through the Putnam-Westchester Industry & Science Teacher Alliance (PWISTA).  Check out the Science Teacher Mastery Program.  Each class in the program is equivalent to what would be a two-to-three week content unit in a first year college physics course, but aimed at students who are * physics teachers.

* or intend to become

Do you know someone who is familiar with physics, but needs guidance in physics pedagogy, needs to know how to help her or his students understand physics?  Or, do you know someone who is being asked to teach physics, but is primarily a biologist or chemist and thus needs some content support?  Either way, this course will be of use.

I'm offering just one class this fall: Circuits.

For each, you will get access to all of my topical course material, both when I teach at the high-school (Conceptual or Regents) level, and when I teach at the college (AP) level.  This includes the labs, problem sets, and quizzes that I assign.  I'll give you written guidance about how to use this material in your teaching, and for your own study.

Then, I will host five one-hour online sessions on Thursday nights this fall (see schedule below).  In each session, I'll spend the first half discussing practical pedagogy, just as I do in my workshops and on this blog.  In the second half, I'll discuss specific content, problem solving, and test preparation issues as requested - or, I'll improvise where the participants take me.

See, I'm more than happy to address individual needs.  For each class, I will be videoconferencing via google hangouts from my labThis means I can show live experiments.  And, as people have questions that stray beyond the circuits demos I had set up, we can improvise to talk about anything of interest to the folks who sign up.  Yes, we're going to learn about circuits... but I'm happy to discuss whatever is on your mind with regard to your physics classes.

Participants can get 15-hour CTLE certificates and/or university credit hours through Purchase College.  They can also get three graduate credits in science education through Manhattanville College - see the site for details about credits, certificates, and pricing.

You can see the full course description via this link.

If you have further questions, please contact me via email or twitter; or, contact Mark Langella, head of PWISTA, through their site.  Mark teaches the chemistry courses, and has been a College Board consultant for many years - he's the varsity, in case you know anyone who wants a similar program in chemistry.

Schedule for PWISTA Physics fall 2019:

The following are Thursday night classes.  I'll meet each night from 8:00-9:00.

Sep. 26
Oct. 10
Oct. 24
Nov. 7
Dec. 5
(Dec. 12 available as an alternative.)

2 comments:

  1. I could really use this! I'm a first year physics teacher after teaching chemistry for 7 years. I'm also teaching AP Physics 1. I wish they had a payment plan as I'm in Texas so since the course isn't being aligned to the TEKS, the district won't even consider paying. It sounds very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashelayne and others,

    If you'd like me to send a note to your district, I'd be happy to mention that I'll tailor your participation in the class to align it with your state or NGSS standards. Good physics teaching can easily be aligned with any standards - I'm happy to work with you or your district. Just a thought. Hope you can join us...

    ReplyDelete