Buy that special someone an AP Physics prep book, now with five-minute quizzes aligned with the exam: 5 Steps to a 5 AP Physics 1

Visit Burrito Girl's handmade ceramics shop, The Muddy Rabbit: Mugs, vases, bowls, tea bowls...

13 July 2019

Inserting equations into google docs - Equatio

Holy moly!  I have spent ridiculous amounts of time over the years trying to write professional-looking equations in my physics assignments.  Or often, I've spent enormous amounts of time simply scanning bad-looking handwritten equations.  Participants in my Purchase College AP Summer Institute last week showed me a wonderful computer and tablet app that seems to be a boon directly out of the star that I wished upon.

Take a look at Equatio.  It says it's free for teachers - I had to sign in with my google account, then it downloaded quickly and without trouble.  (My google account is through my school - no clue whether this will work with an unaffiliated personal account.)  

Then I went into google docs, where this toolbar sat at the bottom of the screen.  The toolbar gave me a couple of helpful hints, but was otherwise unobtrusive.  I tried typing the equation for the period of a pendulum.  "T =" was typeset in italics without fuss.  Then I wrote "2pi", at which point a menu came up asking if I wanted a capital or lowercase pi.  But I didn't even have to click!  The top choice was the more common lowercase pi, so I just hit enter to insert the pi⁣ and move on.  

(Of course, I'm not using google docs right now - I'm in Blogger's "compose" window, where I don't have access to Equatio.  Nevertheless... I can copy and past the Equatio picture from docs into this window here.  As you can tell, the pi that I pasted is larger than I want.  But it's there!)

To get the square root symbol, I typed "root."  But I also typed "sqrt" to get the same thing!  And "sq" gives me a menu of options!  In other words, I don't have to remember arcane code, I don't have to click slowly through an enormous tableau of options... I just have to hint at the symbol I want, and lo, the symbol shows up.  Wow.

Typesetting the fraction was automatic - I typed "L/g" and I got a vertically set fraction with a horizontal fraction bar, all centered under the square root symbol.  Here's the final result:
T equals 2 pi the square root of L over g⁣
I suppose I could nitpick and complain that the L is too high, too close to the top of the square root symbol.  So what.  I inserted this equation in barely more time than it takes to type a standard English word.  And the copy-paste function worked into MS Word, into this post, wherever.

I've been told (though I haven't yet tried) that on a tablet it can do handwriting recognition - that is, write the equation above, and the typeset version will magically appear.  

Your tests, at least, should look professional.  I don't mind sending out an in-class or homework assignment with handwritten items, with fifth generation bad xeroxing, with unaligned graphics that I literally copied and pasted to a page by hand.  I won't do that for a test, though.  A professional looking test is taken more seriously by your students.  So I've gone to great lengths to get professional looking equations.  Equatio has shortened those lengths.  Yay.

2 comments:

  1. Those don't seem to pass the "professional-looking" standard for me—they look like that usual amateur attempts that add-ons to Word and Google Docs provide. I write all my exams (well, quizzes, really, since I don't do exams) with LaTeX. I require my students to do all their design reports in LaTeX also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you download Equatio and pull up the toolbar, you'll see that it uses the LaTeX editor. I too use LaTeX, and I like using Equatio for the simple fact that I can still use LaTeX.

      Delete