Buy that special someone an AP Physics prep book, now with five-minute quizzes aligned with the exam: 5 Steps to a 5 AP Physics 1

Visit Burrito Girl's handmade ceramics shop, The Muddy Rabbit: Mugs, vases, bowls, tea bowls...

12 May 2019

2019 AP Physics 1 exam: Solutions

I've posted my solutions to the 2019 AP Physics 1 free response exam questions.  The questions themselves are available at this College Board link.  

My solutions are available via the "Pretty Good Physics" google group, using this teachers-only link.  If you are a teacher and would like to access these solutions, you must first sign up for the google group.  Gardner Friedlander runs the group - he will send an army of dagrons to utterly burninate you if you request access but are not a physics teacher.  He checks.  

Comments: I like the center of mass graphing question - the big deal is that the system center of mass doesn't change speed unless a net force acts.  

The experimental question can be done many different ways... Kristyn of Georgia noted that she set spring potential energy equal to gravitational potential energy rather than kinetic energy - that works just fine if you measure height rather than speed.  What a wonderful question.

The waves question had two(!) plug-and-chug calulational pieces.  Weird and unexpected, but certainly straightforward.  My students made the graph upside down... they had been talking about nodes in pressure rather than antinodes in particle displacement.  Who cares.  They'll get most credit.

Please let me know what I've missed... as always, I guarantee I would earn a 5, but not that I have gotten everything perfect.  

GCJ

2 comments:

  1. When will the official solutions for FRQ be released?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally in late August / early September. There's a long vetting process to make sure the published versions are error free and in a standard easy-to-read and easy-to-download web format.

    ReplyDelete